Jul 3, 2012

point of no return


Like most style bloggers out there, I'm a charity shop nut. I've been thrifting regularly for one-and-a-half years now and am thus still relatively new to the game. What got me hooked initially was this nifty little By Malene Birger blazer, which just blew my mind. It wasn't that I hadn't visited charity shops before; I just hadn't understood how to shop them successfully. After thrifting this blazer, however, it finally clicked in my head what all the fuss was about. I finally understood what thrifters meant when they said you never know what you'll find unless you go look. More importantly, I realised that it takes persistence and plenty of unsuccessful trips to the charity shops to thrift with success. Soon enough, a steady trickle of striking and fabulous things started seeping into my wardrobe and living space. Now, my biggest problem isn't what to wear; it's space and hangers (thin plastic or metal ones instead of the clumpy, space consuming wooden hangers I've accumulated over the years, duh).

Seeing what these past one-and-a-half years have done to my wardrobe and style, I sometimes can't help but wonder how I'd be dressing today if I'd started thrifting earlier in life. I'd most probably be a more advanced thrift shopper than I am right now. Estimating roughly, I'd say I'm currently in the prepubescent stage of thrifting: I'm still in the comfortable bubble in which I started and hardly ever steer too far away from the nurturing comfort of this home ground. In other words, most of the time I just go to one or two local charity shops, and once in a blue moon I stop by a random shop in a random area, if I happen to be passing by with a bit of extra time on my hands. I haven't yet branched out to the more advanced hunting grounds offered by the interwebs, such as Ebay or Etsy. The only time I bought something used online was when I bought my brown Docs on ASOS' Marketplace a couple of months ago. Yes, I guess you could say I'm a lazy thrifter. Sadly, I have nothing to say in my defense other than that I keenly feel I ought to start scouring these online sites on a regular basis to tap into a broader market, but I figure I'll probably advance to that stage in another three or four years, being the late bloomer that I am. I don't think I'll ever stop thrifting though.


Do you thrift? If so, I'm curious: how did you get hooked?

4 comments:

Heather said...

That is such a great blazer - I have never really tried thrifting... I feel like I wouldn't know where to start!

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

Anha SNT said...

Love your jacket.

xoxo

Thea vintage said...

Love the blazer! And your style :-)
Hehe - I am hooked on thrifting - for life I guess. It all started when I was younger and inherited a beautiful dress from my grandmother. Then I discovered the pleasures with vintage!

ps. Loved your comment about Kindereggs - yes we have that in Sweden. And I totally get your point about three god things in one ;-)

Petra

Maxens M. Finch said...

Yes I thrift and am hooked! I always find great stuffs, and when I tell myself I'll regret buying something and don't buy it, I then regret not buying it because I know exactly how to wear it, or could have bought a whole outfit there.