Jul 10, 2012

Please understand. We don't want no trouble. We just want the right to be different. That's all.


Although Peter Jensen claims to have grown bored with the "quirky" label so often attached to his design aesthetic, I couldn't help but feel that his t-shirt for Topshop's NewGen line deserved to be scrambled with a mumsy denim skirt, a grandad cardigan and the sandal of choice for the British, middle-class, middle-aged, middlesize, 40-something married mum: slingbacks from the mighty Marks & Spencer. Totally stereotyping the brand here, I know (undskyld, Peter). I'll try to be more original next time. I'll also try to write shorter sentences.


Fun fact: The print on the t-shirt is inspired by the make-up from Jensen's AW05 show. There's some pretty freaky stuff going on make-up wise in that show, by the way, so if bunnies, bucks and glitter aliens on the catwalk sound like something you might jive with you should go ahead and click HERE (get it out of your system).


About the garb. I found the high waisted denim skirt from Lee at a flea market in the beginning of June. The bag and the cardigan are from a charity shop. The Marks & Spencer slingbacks are from a charity shop too, and initially, I was quite happy with their perfect balance of sleek and mumsy. Unfortunately, however, the heels broke (as in both cracked and caved in) the very first time I wore the shoes out (more specifically, about half an hour after we took these photos) which put a significant damper on my excitement about them. Let's not think about that anymore, though, and instead let ourselves be distracted by the deliciously stale chocolate brown colour of the Falke socks I'm wearing, while bearing in mind that we all know what stale chocolate looks like because we've all had our fill of it. There's no point in trying to deny it; just observe the socks and deal with it. (This is what is commonly referred to as "sock therapy" in the psychiatric books.)


Finally, I even had a theme song for this outfit. Well, an anthem, really. 1995. Pulp. Different ClassAs a working class teenager of the nineties, Britpop was never really a question of Blur vs. Oasis for me: subversive Pulp overruled all. They were the wittiest and their class consciousness the sharpest. And, of course, they're still as relevant as ever.

2 comments:

Daniella said...

Great outfit! Loving the printed tee and that denim skirt is a great find!!! :)

Take care, Daniella xox

Sara Louise. said...

love the denim skirt, great find, you've reminded me I've got one somewhere! sad the shoes broke :( annoying! xx